Introduction to the course
Developing and maintaining an effective relationship with the media is a crucial part of any communication strategy.
This Media Relations course by KC Academy will help participants understand the media, its challenges and its goals.
The course will also enhance the skills and abilities of the participants, from providing a toolkit of best-practice such as interacting on social media, answering questions at a press conference and providing briefings, to preparing a spokesperson for media interviews by familiarising them with a variety of formats, styles and locations such as TV, radio, print, online.
It will also help participants develop strategies and skills for dealing with the media in a professional, responsible and fair manner.
This KC Academy course will cover the following points:
Principles of Media Relations
- The current media landscape
- Building relationships with journalists and reporters
- Working with journalists – what journalists want and do not want
Applying Key Messages for Media Interactions
- Cohesive communication across traditional and digital media
- How to identify your key messages
- Creating powerful and memorable soundbites
Managing Media Interactions
- Strategies for dealing with print, radio, television and digital journalists
- Responding to questions and staying on message
- Dealing with difficult and hostile questions
- Media relations in a crisis
Professional certificate & Accreditation
Your organisation's message, brand and reputation are dependent on how the public perceives you. In today's integrated landscape, the media - traditional, digital or social – is an essential component in this perception.